Saturday, November 04, 2006

The Exciting Weekend

Hello everyone and welcome to the world of "just when you think you have everything under control..." I learned a valuble lesson last weekend about thinking before you speak, and about taking things for granted. I had a surprise visit from coworker Eric, who was brought to the big city by computer problems (IT folks in the village seem to be few and far between apparently)...So the story starts when I commented (or one of us did, at least) and how much we appreciated that most people we've met in Uganda have been helpful in the extreme. IF one is on a bus, for example, going to a place for the first time, it isn't hard to get the entire load of passengers involved in a discussion about exactly where the correct stop is, and how exactly to get there from the bus stop. Asking directions on the street is the same way, people are always willing to help. In addition, we have been felt very safe everywhere we have been so far, taking, of course, the proper precautions.

So this talk about how safe and helpful Ugandans are happened over dinner, and then walking home from dinner I was taken by surprise when a man flew out of nowhere and attempted to remove my bag from my person. You might say I was surprised. Actually, there are no words to describe how offended I was! This bag (forgetting whatever was in it) I have had for six years, and has traveled with me to at least 12 different countries. I wasn't about to let go--NO WAY! Because I wear my bag over my shoulder, the gentleman (?) had to first get it over my head. Which he did, but then was forced to engage me in a game of tug o' war. I am no lightweight, remember, I have density.

As I was fighting with all my might, I began to remember the MCC rules for dealing with crime or theft. I believe the key sentance is "Whatever you have, it isn't worth your life. Just let it go." This ran through my mind as I continued to hold on to said bag, and (confession) deliberately disobeyed the MCC rules. At this point Eric started shouting "Hey, what do you think you are doing?" ..and stepped up to the "gentleman." I'm not sure what he was going to do, but at that point the strap on my bag broke, and I fell to the ground. Eric apparently got clocked on the ear by our new friend and also fell to the ground--also at this point, the traffic had stopped, and our crowd of onlookers began shouting.

It seems that the pressure of an audience, and the fact that he had lost a tug o'war match with a mere mazungoo woman was too much for mr.grabby, and he took off at quite a fast pace (without my bag-). I tried to collect my wits (and the bag of oranges I had also been carrying, that were now scattered around me--but please don't ask why I was concerned about my oranges at that point)The drivers of the taxis which had stopped started yelling to find out if we were ok--which we were--dazed, but OK--and to ask if the thief had succeeded in his theft--which he hadn't--

A minute or two later, we found two bodas, and took off for home, me clutching my broken bag and sack of oranges.

Now boys and girls, what lessons can we learn from this experience? First, I am so thankful for God's protection. The truth is that I shouldn't have fought for my bag (which everyone has told me already, so don't even bother telling me again, I KNOW!), if the man had had a weapon, it could have been more trouble than I bargined for. Secondly, my host mother and everyone else in this town have been telling me from the day I arrived that it is unsafe for white people to walk around after dark- especially white women. Now, for the most part I have been very obedient. But being somewhat stubborn and independent, I never quite believed the stories. Now- I do.
I also realize that if Eric hadn't been there to distract the guy, I probably wouldn't have won the tug of war.

So the moral is, I appreciate all of your prayers for my safety here (although I still do feel safe most of the time, I am sobered and much more careful now to definitely be in before dark), and I am thankful for the watchcare for our loving God--even when I feel as though my work isn't accomplishing much, He has chosen to preserve my life and bring me to this day.."for such a time as this..."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home