Sunday, April 01, 2007

Life came over the wall


I was washing dishes this morning after a particularly nice breakfast at Gann and Dale's house. I lazily took note of the tan trousers hanging from the razor wire on the back wall of the house, and alerted my co-dishwasher Eric to their presence. "They look like mine," he noticed and Gann asked if he had hung any clothes on the line that could have been his--the answer was no.

Twenty minutes later Eric came running in from the "boys quarters" (a colonialism term referring to separate housing behind the main house for the "help;" Gann and Dale use these rooms for extra guests.) "They are my shorts, I was robbed!"

Apparently someone managed to enter his room as he was sleeping last night, took his backpack that had his phone and all his money, as well as an ATM card and other various "essentials" to life here. We kind of stared at each other in shock--never once had I ever felt unsafe in this house; although Dale and Gann are very careful with their locks on the gate and on the house, and although they have a large, ferocious dog, they do not keep a night guard. All the necessary activities after this sort of event were efficiently carried out by Dale and Eric (unfortunitely keeping us from palm sunday service at church): reports filed, local council and neighbors notified, police notified.

We catalogued the graces involved in this incident--his MP3 player was inside the main house(music, for us and our interminable rides on public transports and frequent bouts of stress or noise-related insomnia is essential to sanity), he did not wake up while the intruder was inside, and (later, we discovered) his backpack and everything but the phone and money was found on the other side of the wall, abandoned.

I have always felt an insular-kind of safety here, where we come for meetings or "retreating." Although right outside the wall is normal life as I know it in Kampala--yelling children, motorcycles, leering men, etc--inside the wall is quiet, peaceful, safe. I am in a womb, a cocoon, and am able to relax.

Is the wall around the house keeping out Uganda? Did the vulnerability I felt, thinking about the intruder relate to an unconcious perception of Uganda as "the other," "the enemy," or even just "the problem?"

Because MCC has such a strong emphasis on our ministry of presence and life-sharing in our communities, it occurs to me that this response might signal some spiritual pathology on my part. It is different from the vulnerability I felt last fall after almost being mugged--I was on the street, after dark, in a dangerous area--and someone chose to take advantage of my carelessness.

My question more relates to walls in general. Someone came over the wall. Moreover, they came over the wall, and into Eric's room. Why is it that I need this wall in order to relax, that here--away from Uganda, on a small bit of ground I realize I think of as 'apart' or 'separate'? Why is it that the incursion of my life outside--the life that is callous and antagonistic, into this place shakes me so much?

What is it about this world that I want to keep out with a wall? Do I have walls in my life at "home" (ie, US, Vermont, Norwich, Barn) outside of which I am pressing to keep "life" on some level--the life that has people who are willing to jump over razor wire to get money for their children's school fees, or food, or medical bills, or whatever? Why do I perceive the rest of my life as something to be overcome, or something that I have to fight against--and why is it disturbing that this life penetrated the cocoon of my rest?

Dear friends, I have no answers (nor am I sure that I have made any sense at all) but I put these questions into the great void of blog-dom, the large expanse of the internet conciousness hoping that they will return to me less than void.

7 Comments:

Blogger Tim said...

I think your questions are good. I think that the world is such a big place with so much going on that we all put up walls just to get through the day. How would we be able to stay standing if we were exposed to the full depth of human suffering all day every day? But maybe breaking those walls is what becoming more like Jesus is all about. I'll keep praying for you, cuz.

4:23 PM  
Blogger Thomas G Brown said...

We all need healthy boundaries in our lives to live healthy lives. Some of those boundaries can be more "fluid" than others. We contiune to pray for your safety(and Erics) and wisdom in discerning boundaries.
love mom

5:19 PM  
Blogger Christi-Lynn said...

I think somehow I have a perception about "compound" missionaries or aid workers and those who live "in" the community- as in, one is better or more "valid" than the other. (although the presence or absence of a wall isn't necessarily a good measure of how integrated one is in the community)I am shocked to find that I feel the need for that compound! Not always sure if it is healthy, the way jesus would do it, etc etc..."healthy boundaries" versus incarnational ministry is a balance i'm not sure how to find.

10:26 AM  
Blogger Dan Brown said...

Christi Lynn, I appreciate your candidness of looking at your own heart. Jesus himself modeled retreat. His retreat was for refreshment and His place of refreshment was alone with the Father. The retreating is necessary in order to see the world through God's eyes and continue to live in and give of ourselves to it. But when the world intrudes into our retreat are we not to "welcome" the intrusions for the building of our faith and the process of becoming mature and complete not lacking anything. We all are in that process and your ponderings are part of your walk of faith. God gives places of rest but most importantly He is our rest! I love you and you don't live like Uganda is the "enemy" you live in the midst of chaos and display love. Praying for you - your heart and mind and body!

2:59 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Reading your blog entry about the walls reminded me of a conversation many years ago with a wife and mother who lived in a small town in Pakistan. their house was on a corner with a not very high wall. Her husband traveled and often was away overnight. I asked her if she was afraid when he was away. She said that every night she asked the Lord to put angels on the corners of the house and then went to sleep. I thought of the many times in the Psalms when the writer/singer called on the Lord to be his fortress, his rock, his refuge. Psalm 90 and 91 are special favorites of mine. Ultimately, the Lord Himself is our only real protection in a dangerous world. We have to rest in that, and ask for God's wisdom and common sense, in how an incarnational life is worked out in any particular situation
I am blessed and challenged by the way you open your heart in your blog entries. We pray every day for you, for your safety in particular. We love you so much
Grandma B.

3:09 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is a PS to what I wrote as I have been thinking more about walls. Walls have other purposes than keeping something unpleasant out, although in this dangerous world we live in they are necessary at times for our protection. A wall defines space, mine, yours and we rightly feel violated when someone comes over that wall. Jesus talked about the thief who is not the shepherd who sneaks over the wall to harm the sheep.
But my other thought is that walls always have gates or doors and the purpose of these is so we can open them, but we need wisdom and discernment about when to close them, too - for our protection,our sanity, our renewal and rest.
Love you so much

8:24 PM  
Blogger Beth said...

Hi Christi-Lynn,
I'm catching up on your blog!
Interesting discussions about walls- I agree with Grammy B- they come in all shapes and sizes and may not be physical. This is a small example- I was thinking how nice it would be to put up some privacy shrubbery in my yard since I can see everyone walking by when I'm in my yard. The consequence of this is that I won't have as much contact with those walking by. This spring I have suddenly had the opportunity to make new relationships with my neighbors. One elderly woman has seen me outside with the baby and requested a visit- so I try to go by and sit and talk with her on a weekly basis. She is wonderful! Other neighbors have been stopping by and just sitting with me and the baby on the lawn...these opportunities are not formal or scheduled and may lead to sharing the gospel later. Not having a fence (nor privacy while outside) is a nice thing. Not sure how that exactly relates to your situation, but just some thoughts.
beth

9:02 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home