Friday, July 13, 2007

Ah, another chance to play the fool...


So last Saturday, after returning quickly from Bwindi, I was excited (thrilled, amazed, filled with wonderment) at the opportunity to attend one more Introduction (Kwanjula) ceremony before I leave this blessed country.

Once again I found myself at the mercy of my host sisters, who for lack of better supplies, wrapped my body in bedsheets and garbed me with Sarah's bisuti (which is eight inches longer than I am tall) and shod me with Sarah's high-heeled shoes (I have conveniently misplaced my own "smart" shoes to avoid having to wear them anywhere).

Because this is Uganda, it didn't seem to be a problem that we arrived at the introduction six hours late, just in time for the food. To make things better, it had been raining all day, so not only was I just navigating the normal terrain of Kampala in the bisuiti, but mud and mud puddles--trying to keep fifty pounds of dress out of this mud. The best part was trying to carry food and drink, while still managing the dress situation. This required me to bend over at the waist, clutching yards of fabric between my elbows and balance the soda on my head. Just kidding.

Since Saturday though, many unexpected people have been commenting on seeing me at the Introduction. None of them greeted me there--apparently they were just enjoying the spectacle that is me in Uganda. I knew I heard laughter from the in-law section.

1 Comments:

Blogger Thaiguy in NH said...

Are you hearing laughter from the United States section?

5:46 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home